Skip to main content

Okay Life, You Win!

Okay life, you have been hounding me for ages to do something about you. I don’t know what to do, but I do know you won’t win in the end. I will be victorious and there’s nothing you can do about it. You are a life full of mystery and nothing else. That’s all you are. Mystery. If you wanted to be something other than mystery, you would end up being something. I don’t know what you want to be though, so go on your way and be done with it. Here’s the thing though, you don’t have to be so flipping annoying all the time. You do have the opportunity to be graceful, kind, and good. But that’s up to you. Don’t come out of the woodwork simply to ignore everything else in life. You are better than that. You have to be better than that. There’s nothing wrong with thinking that way, but you can’t always be negative about it all. Life has to find a way to overcome whatever it is you want to throw out there. So don’t believe everything you hear. You know what the kicker is about life though? We d...

Polygamy

Joseph Smith tried to teach the doctrine of polygamy to early saints. They rejected it. Joesph then said basically let’s forget I ever said anything about it.

When the prophet “went to his dinner,” [Joseph Lee] Robinson wrote, “as it might be expected several of the first women of the church collected at the Prophet’s house with his wife [and] said thus to the prophet Joseph O mister Smith you have done it now it will never do it is all but Blassphemy you must take back what you have said to day is it is outrageous it would ruin us as a people.” So in the afternoon session Smith again took the stand, according to Robinson, and said “Brethren and Sisters I take back what we said this morning and leave it as though there had been nothing said.”1

After that, he taught the doctrine privately to those who would obey it and not question it. He kept polygamy even from his wife who did not know that he married other women. She wouldn’t find out until later, and even later in life she would deny it ever happened.

I’m not sure why Emma would deny polygamy. She gave permission for Joseph to marry some of the women. Two of which he had already married the week before, then he asked for her permission. Which is kinda shady if you ask me.

Doctrine and Covenants Section 132 tells Emma that she must live the law of plural marriage or she wil be destroyed.

An interesting exchange happened between Joseph and his personal secretary William Clayton. Clayton asked Joseph if he could marry another gal from the same family. Joseph came back saying that he had new revelation that you couldn’t marry more than two from the same family. He then told Clayton that he wanted to take one of the gals for himself.2

The Book of Mormon says that polygamy is against God’s law.3 The only exception is for God to rise up seed. That is to populate the Earth. But there are no children from the polygamous relationships of Joseph Smith. So it wasn’t practiced to raise up seed. Why was it practiced? They say it was brought back to restore that which once was.

William Marks, who was the Nauvoo stake president and a trusted confidant, stated in an 1853 letter (and later in 1865) that Joseph Smith told him, “I have been deceived in this thing [polygamy] and it must be put down. I thought it would be an advantage to mankind, but I find it proves a curse”.4

If William Marks’ comments are true, then Joseph Smith led the saints in the wrong direction when it came to polygamy. Why did he do this if it wasn’t meant to be something restored? Then there’s the revelation given to John Taylor in 1886. But there’s some controversy regarding that revelation. That it was talking about the everlasting covenant of marriage and not polygamy. I don’t really know what that’s about to be honest, if it is about polygamy, then it indeed never should have been taken away.

Either way, it was finally deemed that one man should have one wife. End of discussion.

Or is it the end of the discussion? If a man gets sealed in the temple and that wife dies, he has the opportunity to get sealed to another woman. Or if he divorces the first wife he can ge sealed to a second wife. Thus polygamy is still around eternally speaking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schizoaffective Disorder

I want to say it first began in High School when I thought I was trying to beat the devil. Now when I say I was "trying to beat the devil", I mean I actually thought I was hearing the devil speak to me at night and that I had to find some way to overcome him. Looking back I should have sought professional help then. I remember telling a friend about this experience, and he looked at me like I was nuts. Talk about craziness right? Yeah something like that. I believe my first mental break was when I was serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints . I wanted to go home so bad. It could have just been homesickness . But...there was something more to it. About halfway through I was just done with it all. I had had enough of rejection and wanted to go home. But I was afraid that I was unable to because I would simply be told no . I know that sounds silly to people. But that's what happened. I didn't b...

Smallville Season 4 Episode 1

Okay, so I’m starting Season 4 and am on Episode 1. We meet Lois Lane, that’s Chloe’s cousin. She comes to Smallville to try and track down what happened to Chloe. Meanwhile, Clark comes falling out of the sky in a bolt of lightning. Yup he’s naked in a cornfield. On top of that he has amnesia. Yeah … Clark doesn’t remember who he is. Later on he thinks he’s Kal-El, even goes flying after some kind of crystal Lex has. But his mom brings him back down to Earth, literally as he was seen flying earlier in the episode. Good ol’ Black Kryptonite given to her by Margot Kidder, who played the original Lois Lane in the Superman movies. (I love how this show brings in guest stars like this.) So Clark is back to normal and he remembers flying, saying it was “awesome.” His dad wakes up from his coma and Lois tries to forge a connection with the Kents so she can hopefully find something out about her cousin Chloe’s death. Yeah I enjoyed the season opener. Can’t wait to see what happens in this...

Didn't Sleep

 What's the point of sleep anymore if I can't sleep? I don't think I slept any good last night. I was awake at 3 am wondering to myself, what on earth am I doing awake? Yeah, that happened. It doesn't make any sense. Fortunately, it's the weekend. So, I can catch up on sleep tonight. I don't have to be anywhere tomorrow, so it's a good opportunity to actually sleep for once. Whatever the case, I hope I'll be able to fall asleep and stay asleep. We will see what happens.