Skip to main content

Okay Life, You Win!

Okay life, you have been hounding me for ages to do something about you. I don’t know what to do, but I do know you won’t win in the end. I will be victorious and there’s nothing you can do about it. You are a life full of mystery and nothing else. That’s all you are. Mystery. If you wanted to be something other than mystery, you would end up being something. I don’t know what you want to be though, so go on your way and be done with it. Here’s the thing though, you don’t have to be so flipping annoying all the time. You do have the opportunity to be graceful, kind, and good. But that’s up to you. Don’t come out of the woodwork simply to ignore everything else in life. You are better than that. You have to be better than that. There’s nothing wrong with thinking that way, but you can’t always be negative about it all. Life has to find a way to overcome whatever it is you want to throw out there. So don’t believe everything you hear. You know what the kicker is about life though? We d...

Translation

Descriptions Tight vs Loose Translation

The Book of Mormon is a sacred text of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and it has been translated into many languages around the world. When translating the Book of Mormon, there are two main approaches: tight translation and loose translation.

Tight translation is a method of translation that strives to be as faithful as possible to the original text. This means that the translator will try to preserve the exact wording and structure of the original text, even if it may sound awkward or unnatural in the target language. The goal of tight translation is to maintain the integrity of the original text and to convey its meaning as accurately as possible.

Loose translation, on the other hand, is a method of translation that prioritizes readability and naturalness in the target language. This means that the translator may take some liberties with the wording and structure of the original text in order to make it sound more natural and fluent in the target language. The goal of loose translation is to make the text more accessible and easier to understand for readers in the target language.

Witness Accounts

Firsthand witness accounts state that it was a tight translation. That is, words would appear on the rock in Joseph’s hat and would stay there until they were written down correctly. Words that Joseph didn’t know how to pronounce he would spell them out. Once written down if there were errors they were corrected and the words would change on the seer stone.

David Whitmer described the translation process as follows:

I will now give you a description of the manner in which the Book of Mormon was translated. Joseph Smith would put the seer stone into a hat, and put his face in the hat, drawing it closely around his face to exclude the light; and in the darkness the spiritual light would shine. A piece of something resembling parchment would appear, and on that appeared the writing. One character at a time would appear, and under it was the interpretation in English. Brother Joseph would read off the English to Oliver Cowdery , who was his principal scribe, and when it was written down and repeated by Brother Joseph to see if it was correct, then it would disappear, and another character with the interpretation would appear. Thus, the Book of Mormon was translated by the gift and power of God, and not by any power of man.1

Martin Harris, another of the Three Witnesses, also described the translation process in a similar way:

Martin Harris related an incident that occurred during the time that he wrote that portion of the translation of the Book of Mormon which he was favored to write direct from the mouth of the Prophet Joseph Smith. He said that the Prophet possessed a seer stone, by which he was enabled to translate as well as from the Urim and Thummim, and for convenience he then used the seer stone, Martin explained the translation as follows: By aid of the seer stone, sentences would appear and were read by the Prophet and written by Martin and when finished he would say “Written,” and if correctly written that sentence would disappear and another appear in its place, but if not written correctly it remained until corrected, so that the translation was just as it was engraven on the plates, precisely in the language then used.2

God Commands

When Joseph Smith began translating the Book of Mormon, he was given the commandment not to re-translate the first 116 pages of the Book of Mormon that Martin Harris had lost:

Behold, I say unto you, that you shall not translate again those words which have gone forth out of your hands;

For, behold, they shall not accomplish their evil designs in lying against those words. For, behold, if you should bring forth the same words they will say that you have lied and that you have pretended to translate, but that you have contradicted yourself.3

If it wasn’t a tight translation, how could Joseph “bring forth the same words?” A loose translation would have Joseph bring forth different words than those he had already translated when he translated the first 116 pages of the Book of Mormon.

To me, this is a strong piece of evidence that the translation of the Book of Mormon was a tight translation, as it would have been impossible for Joseph to “bring forth the same words” if it was a loose translation.

Words In Italics

If this is the case, and it was a tight translation, what are italicized words doing in the Book of Mormon? They appear in the bible verses that were, dare I say copied word for word, from the Bible that Joseph had in his possession. That can be the only explanation I can think of. Joseph was dictating and came across bible passages that were familiar to him, so he made a note to copy them word for word out of the bible instead of what was appearing on the stone.

Was it a time saver? Or was it a way to add fluff to the book to make it appear more full than it would have without those bible passages added to it. According to the Book of Mormon, the bible passages came from the brass plates that were in possession of the Nephites. To me the addition of the italicized words is problematic. If the translation was a tight translation then the italicized words should not be in the Book of Mormon. The actual words would have appeared which might have differed from what the bible that Joseph had in his possession read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schizoaffective Disorder

I want to say it first began in High School when I thought I was trying to beat the devil. Now when I say I was "trying to beat the devil", I mean I actually thought I was hearing the devil speak to me at night and that I had to find some way to overcome him. Looking back I should have sought professional help then. I remember telling a friend about this experience, and he looked at me like I was nuts. Talk about craziness right? Yeah something like that. I believe my first mental break was when I was serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints . I wanted to go home so bad. It could have just been homesickness . But...there was something more to it. About halfway through I was just done with it all. I had had enough of rejection and wanted to go home. But I was afraid that I was unable to because I would simply be told no . I know that sounds silly to people. But that's what happened. I didn't b...

Smallville Season 4 Episode 1

Okay, so I’m starting Season 4 and am on Episode 1. We meet Lois Lane, that’s Chloe’s cousin. She comes to Smallville to try and track down what happened to Chloe. Meanwhile, Clark comes falling out of the sky in a bolt of lightning. Yup he’s naked in a cornfield. On top of that he has amnesia. Yeah … Clark doesn’t remember who he is. Later on he thinks he’s Kal-El, even goes flying after some kind of crystal Lex has. But his mom brings him back down to Earth, literally as he was seen flying earlier in the episode. Good ol’ Black Kryptonite given to her by Margot Kidder, who played the original Lois Lane in the Superman movies. (I love how this show brings in guest stars like this.) So Clark is back to normal and he remembers flying, saying it was “awesome.” His dad wakes up from his coma and Lois tries to forge a connection with the Kents so she can hopefully find something out about her cousin Chloe’s death. Yeah I enjoyed the season opener. Can’t wait to see what happens in this...

Didn't Sleep

 What's the point of sleep anymore if I can't sleep? I don't think I slept any good last night. I was awake at 3 am wondering to myself, what on earth am I doing awake? Yeah, that happened. It doesn't make any sense. Fortunately, it's the weekend. So, I can catch up on sleep tonight. I don't have to be anywhere tomorrow, so it's a good opportunity to actually sleep for once. Whatever the case, I hope I'll be able to fall asleep and stay asleep. We will see what happens.