Skip to main content

Okay Life, You Win!

Okay life, you have been hounding me for ages to do something about you. I don’t know what to do, but I do know you won’t win in the end. I will be victorious and there’s nothing you can do about it. You are a life full of mystery and nothing else. That’s all you are. Mystery. If you wanted to be something other than mystery, you would end up being something. I don’t know what you want to be though, so go on your way and be done with it. Here’s the thing though, you don’t have to be so flipping annoying all the time. You do have the opportunity to be graceful, kind, and good. But that’s up to you. Don’t come out of the woodwork simply to ignore everything else in life. You are better than that. You have to be better than that. There’s nothing wrong with thinking that way, but you can’t always be negative about it all. Life has to find a way to overcome whatever it is you want to throw out there. So don’t believe everything you hear. You know what the kicker is about life though? We d...

The Nature Of God

Joseph Smith said:

God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! That is the great secret. If the veil were rent today, and the great God who holds this world in its orbit, and who upholds all worlds and all things by His power, was to make himself visible—I say, if you were to see him today, you would see him like a man in form—like yourselves in all the person, image, and very form as a man; for Adam was created in the very fashion, image and likeness of God, and received instruction from, and walked, talked and conversed with Him, as one man talks and communes with another.1

God has passions like we do. He has body parts like we do. Joseph didn’t always think this way of course, there was a time when he thought God was a spirit. His teachings changed over the course of time though. In the Lectures on Faith, Joseph described God as thus:

There are two personages who constitute the great, matchless, governing and supreme power over all things … They are the Father and the Son: The Father being a personage of spirit, glory and power: possessing all perfection and fulness: The Son, who was in the bosom of the Father, a personage of tabernacle, made, or fashioned like unto man, or being in the form and likeness of man, or, rather, man was formed after his likeness, and in his image;2

He states that God is a personage of spirit. This is not the case. It is later contradicted by Smith who says that God and Jesus have a body of flesh and bone but the Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit that can dwell in the hearts of men.3

The Lectures on Faith were considered to be doctrine, but the difference in teachings of the nature of God was so great that the church leaders didn’t want there to be any confusion among the saints. So the lectures were not deemed as doctrine.

Elder James E. Talmage, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles who led the committee that revised the 1921 Doctrine and Covenants, felt that it would be best to “avoid confusion and contention on this vital point of belief.” 4

Joseph Smith first stated that God was a spirit, then changed his teachings to reflect that God was a man of flesh and bone. One would think that he would have gotten it right, if he saw God and Jesus in person in 1820. That his experience wouldn’t change over time. So there is some confusion on the subject at hand.

There are some discrepancies in the Book of Mormon when it comes to the topic of if God and Jesus are the same person. The accepted answer is they are one in purpose not body. They are not the same individual. But the wording feels a little off at times, like Joseph was trying to get the right pattern down when he was … for lack of a better term … writing the book.

1 Nephi 11:18 is a good example of this. From the 1830 Book of Mormon:

Behold, the virgin which thou seest, is the mother of God, after the manner of the flesh.

And then from the 1837 Book of Mormon:

Behold, the virgin whom thou seest, is the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh.

See how the words “the son of” were added in the 1837 version? Apologists say that Joseph was cleaning up grammar and making similar changes. But that can be talked about in another topic, loose vs tight translation which I will be sure to discuss later on. Because that deserves an article all by itself.

There are other places where such changes occurred as well. You can do a search for them on the internet, they’re easy to find. I personally feel Joseph was trying to figure out the right way to convey The Father and The Son. It first started out with them being the same individual, and then progressed from there to two separate individuals that we know of today.

Circling back around to the Fifth Lecture, in Lectures on Faith, it is interesting to note that Joseph didn’t include the Holy Ghost in the Godhead and stated that there were only two personages in the Godhead. The Father and The Son. This of course was later changed by Doctrine and Covenants 130’s revelation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schizoaffective Disorder

I want to say it first began in High School when I thought I was trying to beat the devil. Now when I say I was "trying to beat the devil", I mean I actually thought I was hearing the devil speak to me at night and that I had to find some way to overcome him. Looking back I should have sought professional help then. I remember telling a friend about this experience, and he looked at me like I was nuts. Talk about craziness right? Yeah something like that. I believe my first mental break was when I was serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints . I wanted to go home so bad. It could have just been homesickness . But...there was something more to it. About halfway through I was just done with it all. I had had enough of rejection and wanted to go home. But I was afraid that I was unable to because I would simply be told no . I know that sounds silly to people. But that's what happened. I didn't b...

Smallville Season 4 Episode 1

Okay, so I’m starting Season 4 and am on Episode 1. We meet Lois Lane, that’s Chloe’s cousin. She comes to Smallville to try and track down what happened to Chloe. Meanwhile, Clark comes falling out of the sky in a bolt of lightning. Yup he’s naked in a cornfield. On top of that he has amnesia. Yeah … Clark doesn’t remember who he is. Later on he thinks he’s Kal-El, even goes flying after some kind of crystal Lex has. But his mom brings him back down to Earth, literally as he was seen flying earlier in the episode. Good ol’ Black Kryptonite given to her by Margot Kidder, who played the original Lois Lane in the Superman movies. (I love how this show brings in guest stars like this.) So Clark is back to normal and he remembers flying, saying it was “awesome.” His dad wakes up from his coma and Lois tries to forge a connection with the Kents so she can hopefully find something out about her cousin Chloe’s death. Yeah I enjoyed the season opener. Can’t wait to see what happens in this...

Didn't Sleep

 What's the point of sleep anymore if I can't sleep? I don't think I slept any good last night. I was awake at 3 am wondering to myself, what on earth am I doing awake? Yeah, that happened. It doesn't make any sense. Fortunately, it's the weekend. So, I can catch up on sleep tonight. I don't have to be anywhere tomorrow, so it's a good opportunity to actually sleep for once. Whatever the case, I hope I'll be able to fall asleep and stay asleep. We will see what happens.