Skip to main content

What Is In A Life?

Ever wonder what is in a life? Yeah I sure do at times. It doesn’t have to be difficult mind you, but it can be interesting. I’m not sure how to put it all at times. Life comes and goes and we are but waiting for something to happen. Again, I don’t know how that’s meant to happen or work out. It is life though, and if that’s the case? Then we have to understand and allow it to happen. We can’t live through this life wondering if what we’ve done in the past will ever be good enough. We have to understand it, grasp it, take hold of it and see everything there is to see. I don’t know how else to explain it.

KISS

Keep It Simple Stupid (No Really)

From time to time I find it amusing what kind of code can be written and what code actually gets passed through to a production setting. Most of the time it’s something I’ve written myself. Ever look back to a project you worked on a long time ago? That’s a scary thought now isn’t it? You take a look back and go… how did that ever work? You also might think, what in the world was I thinking when I coded that?

Awful Markup

Back when I first started learning HTML it was the standard to have all of your tags in uppercase. Uppercase! I suppose someone wanted to establish content from presentation or structure. Yeah structure. HTML isn’t a presentation layer, that would be CSS. Looking back at that code I cringe. Why would anyone ever even want to code in all uppercase? It didn’t make any sense. Not only does it hurt the eyes to look at it, but it’s also hard to read.

Method Lengths

How long should a method be exactly? I’ve read that methods should be a few lines long. Don’t write hundreds of lines in a single method. You’d go crazy nuts trying to find a bug in there! No really. Be like searching for a needle in a haystack. Don’t try it. You’ll go blind.

Just keep your methods/functions short and simple. I’d rather look at several methods with a few lines of code than a few methods with lots of lines of code in them. What’s going on where? Make it easy and simple to understand.

Comments

Make your code self documenting. Don’t flood it with unneccessary comments. If you want a method to return a string in HTML format, name it like that. Instead of getContent() call it getContentAsHtml(). Makes sense right? Whoever is looking at the source code later on down the line won’t wonder what format the content will be returned as.

Documentation

Provide adequate documenation. Don’t write novels with your documentation. But write what is needed to get someone started. You know how projects have a two minute get started guide? Yep do that. If it’s a Java project, have Javadocs available for it. You don’t want to have your users in the dark about what your project does.

Write Tutorials Smart

If you’re going to write a website that contains tutorials. Um, keep them simple and easy to follow. Also keep with the actual current standards. I should say that again. Keep with the current standards.

An example of this. Years ago, it was typical to have your HTML markup in uppercase. That isn’t the case anymore (no pun intended… or was there?). No realy though. Do not put your HTML in upper case. Don’t! It’s bad. You will be looked down upon so bad. So very very bad. Keep current with whatever language you’re running with and be good at it. Seriously do it. You can deprecate things, that’s just fine. Most languages have a way to do that. Use it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schizoaffective Disorder

I want to say it first began in High School when I thought I was trying to beat the devil. Now when I say I was "trying to beat the devil", I mean I actually thought I was hearing the devil speak to me at night and that I had to find some way to overcome him. Looking back I should have sought professional help then. I remember telling a friend about this experience, and he looked at me like I was nuts. Talk about craziness right? Yeah something like that. I believe my first mental break was when I was serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints . I wanted to go home so bad. It could have just been homesickness . But...there was something more to it. About halfway through I was just done with it all. I had had enough of rejection and wanted to go home. But I was afraid that I was unable to because I would simply be told no . I know that sounds silly to people. But that's what happened. I didn't b...

Smallville Season 4 Episode 1

Okay, so I’m starting Season 4 and am on Episode 1. We meet Lois Lane, that’s Chloe’s cousin. She comes to Smallville to try and track down what happened to Chloe. Meanwhile, Clark comes falling out of the sky in a bolt of lightning. Yup he’s naked in a cornfield. On top of that he has amnesia. Yeah … Clark doesn’t remember who he is. Later on he thinks he’s Kal-El, even goes flying after some kind of crystal Lex has. But his mom brings him back down to Earth, literally as he was seen flying earlier in the episode. Good ol’ Black Kryptonite given to her by Margot Kidder, who played the original Lois Lane in the Superman movies. (I love how this show brings in guest stars like this.) So Clark is back to normal and he remembers flying, saying it was “awesome.” His dad wakes up from his coma and Lois tries to forge a connection with the Kents so she can hopefully find something out about her cousin Chloe’s death. Yeah I enjoyed the season opener. Can’t wait to see what happens in this...

Didn't Sleep

 What's the point of sleep anymore if I can't sleep? I don't think I slept any good last night. I was awake at 3 am wondering to myself, what on earth am I doing awake? Yeah, that happened. It doesn't make any sense. Fortunately, it's the weekend. So, I can catch up on sleep tonight. I don't have to be anywhere tomorrow, so it's a good opportunity to actually sleep for once. Whatever the case, I hope I'll be able to fall asleep and stay asleep. We will see what happens.