Skip to main content

Life Why Are You So Fucked Up?

Ever wonder why this life is so messed up? I sure as hell do! I don’t get it. I mean we’re here for a reason…maybe. I don’t understand anything about it though. I wish I did, it would be nice to be able to grasp something about this life and not simply expect it to be here whenever we need it to be. Yet that’s exactly what we do! We expect life to be here for us and we don’t want to give anything back, talk about an annoying thought process. But what are we going to do about it all? I don’t know. I wish I did, but there are so many things in this life that don’t quite make sense at times, and we are here trying to make sense of them all. It sucks, it really does. But what else are you supposed to do about it? I don’t know.

Article of Faith 1





We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

The first article of faith deals with the godhead. Some faiths call this the trinity. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not hold to a trinitarian view on the godhead. They believe that the godhead is made up of three individual beings, separate in body and mind1 but one in purpose.

It would appear that the nature and thought of God has changed over the years. Oliver Cowdery once taught:

The language in which this record2 is written is very comprehensive, and many of the hieroglyphics exceedingly striking. The evidence is apparent upon the face, that they were written by persons acquainted with the history of the creation, the fall of man, and more or less of the correct ideas of notions of the Deity. The representation of the god-head—three, yet in one, is curiously drawn to give simply, though impressively, the writers views of that exalted personage.3

It is interesting how he phrases the notion of the godhead, “three, yet in one” and defines it as what appears to be one “exalted personage.” He does not state they are three separate beings, but one. Is this on purpose? Or did he not understand the godhead as it was presented in the Book of Abraham?

Perhaps it was defined as one god, but Joseph Smith changed the writings to be gods instead? Who is to say what was done as he was translating4 the record.

Another example of Jesus and God being one is found in 2nd Nephi:

And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.5

Now, we are taught that they are one in purpose not one in body or spirit. Yet it would be interesting to know they the author didn’t mention this outright and explain it. People in bible times stated that they saw God and Jesus on the right hand of God while being in the spirit. Even at Jesus’ baptism it states that the Holy Ghost descended upon Jesus in the form of a dove and a voice was heard from heaven which is assumed to be God. I find it interesting the words “which is one God.” If we are to believe they are three distinct and separate individuals, it needs to be defined as such. Why else do you think there is so much confusion even within the Latter-day Saints about the nature of God at times. I remember in seminary people had asked this question, and the answer was always “one in purpose not in body.” Well say it then.

From the Lectures on Faith we learn the nature of God and Jesus Christ.

The Father being a personage of spirit, glory and power: possessing all perfection and fulness: The Son, who was in the bosom of the Father, a personage of tabernacle, made, or fashioned like unto man, or being in the form and likeness of man, or, rather, man was formed after his likeness, and in his image;6

This goes contrary to the teachings in the Doctrine and Covenants about the nature of God and Jesus Christ it would seem:

The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.7

It makes one wonder, which teaching of God is correct and true? They cannot both be truth, for one says that God is a spirit while the other claims that God has a body of flesh and bone like the Son. Perhaps it is simply one of those things which cannot be understood at this time. If that is the case, then it is one of those things which should be understood later in life and is not important at this time. However, if we are to worship such a being...would it not be easier to have an understanding of such a being?

The reason for the Holy Ghost being a personage of Spirit is so he can dwell in us. Now I’m assuming this is not to be possessed of the spirit, but more of feeling the spirit as those good feelings that people experience.

So even with all the answers we have regarding the Godhead, we still have questions. I suppose that is okay for now, but eventually answers will be needed.

1. Joseph Smith once taught that the Holy Spirit was the mind of God and Jesus and there were only two beings in the godhead. This can be found in Lectures on Faith 5.
2. The record of which is being talked about is the Book of Abraham
3. Messenger and Advocate, Page 236
4. Recently, it’s been determined that translating is not the same as translating as is known today. In this reference, translation is actually revelation using the papyri as a catalyst for the revelation and inspirations from God.
5. 2 Nephi 31:21
6. Lectures on Faith 5:2
7. D&C 130:22

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schizoaffective Disorder

I want to say it first began in High School when I thought I was trying to beat the devil. Now when I say I was "trying to beat the devil", I mean I actually thought I was hearing the devil speak to me at night and that I had to find some way to overcome him. Looking back I should have sought professional help then. I remember telling a friend about this experience, and he looked at me like I was nuts. Talk about craziness right? Yeah something like that. I believe my first mental break was when I was serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints . I wanted to go home so bad. It could have just been homesickness . But...there was something more to it. About halfway through I was just done with it all. I had had enough of rejection and wanted to go home. But I was afraid that I was unable to because I would simply be told no . I know that sounds silly to people. But that's what happened. I didn't b...

Didn't Sleep

 What's the point of sleep anymore if I can't sleep? I don't think I slept any good last night. I was awake at 3 am wondering to myself, what on earth am I doing awake? Yeah, that happened. It doesn't make any sense. Fortunately, it's the weekend. So, I can catch up on sleep tonight. I don't have to be anywhere tomorrow, so it's a good opportunity to actually sleep for once. Whatever the case, I hope I'll be able to fall asleep and stay asleep. We will see what happens.

Smallville Season 4 Episode 1

Okay, so I’m starting Season 4 and am on Episode 1. We meet Lois Lane, that’s Chloe’s cousin. She comes to Smallville to try and track down what happened to Chloe. Meanwhile, Clark comes falling out of the sky in a bolt of lightning. Yup he’s naked in a cornfield. On top of that he has amnesia. Yeah … Clark doesn’t remember who he is. Later on he thinks he’s Kal-El, even goes flying after some kind of crystal Lex has. But his mom brings him back down to Earth, literally as he was seen flying earlier in the episode. Good ol’ Black Kryptonite given to her by Margot Kidder, who played the original Lois Lane in the Superman movies. (I love how this show brings in guest stars like this.) So Clark is back to normal and he remembers flying, saying it was “awesome.” His dad wakes up from his coma and Lois tries to forge a connection with the Kents so she can hopefully find something out about her cousin Chloe’s death. Yeah I enjoyed the season opener. Can’t wait to see what happens in this...